Meet up with other movie lovers for discussions of everything film-related. Membership is 100% free. Everyone is welcome. Just use the Register link on the right sidebar to join.
To view a list of past discussions: CLICK HERE
Montreal’s Original Movie Club started in October 2005 on Meetup.com. I (Mike) have been running the group since June 2007. We moved to our own website in 2011. Beware of imitators: The Montreal Movie Club which is currently on Meetup.com is not affiliated in any way with this website.
There are three types of discussions:
- Regular/ Classics: typically held on the first Saturday of each month, in the late afternoon, in a café or restaurant, where we will cover a wide variety of classic and well-regarded films.
- Cult Classics: typically held on the third Friday of each month, in the evening, where we will cover a wide variety of slightly offbeat, lesser know, and sometimes terrible films, but that are nevertheless loved and have a dedicated fanbase.
- Screenings: Occasionally we will go to a film screening, especially if it’s an old classic, and the discussion will be held immediately afterwards.
Being movie lovers has usually meant spending a lot of time in cinemas. In recent years, many people have opted to upgrade their home theaters and see more and more movies in the home. With DVDs and Blu-rays it is now possible to enjoy great picture and sound in the comfort of one’s home while avoiding most annoyances associated with the theater experience: cell phones, talking, endless pre-film advertisements, high ticket prices, overpriced concessions, badly projected films, the 3D fad, etc. However, it’s still nice to discuss a good film with link-minded people, and that is this group’s primary goal.
Movie Selection and Participation:
An important element of this club is movie selection. Films will be selected at least three months in advance by those who attend the discussions.
Members will have at least one month to buy, borrow, or download the movies and watch them on their own time. If you have trouble finding the movies, here are some helpful resources.
The purpose of this group is to get movie fans together; to meet people with similar interests in a comfortable environment.
- Fill out a profile and only join if you are interested in watching movies and meeting other movie fans.
- Be respectful of other group members.
- You are welcome to organize your own discussions. Just email me and I will set-up it up for you.
- Definition of spam: any type of advertisement to sell anything or to request money or free lodging of any kind.
- It is expressly forbidden to post any spam on this site
- If you are a member of the Club and would like to post for a business you have to ask for permission to do so. We can even start a discussion stream for this very purpose.
The group is 100% free but we do accept donations to help pay for our hosting costs and other associated fees. You can donate in person at an event or by using the button below.